Frost & Sullivan hosted the inaugural conference of the Economic Development Innovation (EDI) Council at GIL (Growth, Innovation & Leadership) Silicon Valley on September 15th-17th, 2014. Fifteen economic development organizations from across the globe convened to deliberate on key global challenges, exchange best practices, and share success stories. Key highlights of the EDI Council Conference included:
- Critical Issues Meeting
The EDI Council reviewed and voted on a set of Critical Issues in economic development that affect the mission of their organizations. These Critical Issues will form the basis of research initiatives the Council will undertake later this year and in 2015.
- Un-Conference Roundtable
Following an unstructured format, this session was especially designed to enable Council members to engage in open discussions and share best practices. Notable presentations were delivered by the Colombian ICT Ministry on its success in augmenting Internet penetration in Colombia, and Google on its efforts to increase global Internet access through specially designed balloons.
- Innovation Hotspots
Six eminent members of the EDI council joined Frost & Sullivan Chairman David Frigstad for a fireside chat on how they were shaping the global economy through their innovations and best practices.
- Presentation of the EDI Awards at the GIL Awards Gala
Economic development organizations which were recognized for their notable contributions to the economic development of their country were commemorated at the awards gala.
Distinguished attendees of the 2014 EDI Council Conference included:
- Maria Carolina Hoyos Turbay, Vice Minister, Ministry of ICT, Colombia
- İlker Ayci, President, The Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry Investment Support and Promotion Agency (ISPAT) and President, World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (WAIPA)
- Lim Chuan Poh, Chairman, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, Singapore)
- Arvydas Arnasius, Managing Director, Invest Lithuania
- Gearóid Mooney, Research & Innovation Manager, Enterprise Ireland
- Mauro Goncalves, Strategy Head, Project Loon, Google
- Duncan Wilson, Director and Principal Investigator, Intel Collaborative Research Institute
Following the success of the first inaugural EDI Council Conference, in 2015, the Council will reconvene at the Manufacturing Leadership Summit in Carlsbad, California, The United States from June 2nd-June 4th.