More than 90,000 attendees from 200 countries attended the renowned global telecommunications event of the year, Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, which took place March 2-5, 2015 in the Fira Gran Via venue. Over 2,000 companies participated in the conference and demonstrated their latest products and innovations in various product lines.
MWC 2015 Key Themes:
- SDN (Software Defined Networking) and NFV (Network Function Virtualization) gaining traction
- Small cells playing a larger role
- 5G hype cycle begins, ahead of standardization in 2016-17 and commercialization by 2020; Europe making a push to recapture technological mindshare with 5G, after being eclipsed by the US, Japan and Korea for 4G
- LTE unlicensed (LTE-u), with operators showing interest in using unlicensed spectrum and vendors poised to get incremental small cell deals
- “Virtual everything” – AT&T targeting 5% of its telco network functions virtualized by CY15; vendors showcased solutions including even Radio Access Network (RAN) virtualization
- Emerging technologies: signaling orchestration (much more than just diameter routing, the interworking with legacy and other emerging protocols will play a huge role) and Self Organizing Networks (SONs)
- Endpoint launches galore: MWC would not be complete without the introduction of various products ranging from smartphones to the emerging wearables segment
Click on the "Play" button below to listen On Demand.